Thursday, May 26, 2011

First Swim of the Season

I went for my first swim of the season today and it was great! Those who know me know that I’ve had an intense fear of the water for years and years. I’m happy to say that the fear has now become more of a discomfort than an all-out-panic-attack-inducing event. I still don’t have the confidence that I’d like to have, but I have to say, I felt good today. I hadn’t realized how much my improved arm strength would help with my ease of swimming. The first 12 laps were no problem at all. The next 8 were a bit more trying, but not a struggle. I was pleased.

Everything about today’s swim was great – well, except for the time when I was in the middle of a lap and a pigeon started flying way too close to me and I started to panic a bit (yes, I have a fear of birds) and all I could imagine was that this bird was going to be the death of me … and that while I was panicking, they’d open that cage under the swimming pool and let out the sharks (as JH has threatened … joked … ummm, no threatened!) – Major panic … but then the bird flew away … and I cautiously searched the water for sharks and didn’t see anything … and continued on my swim.



Whew. That was a close one.


4 comments:

Mel said...

LOL
There are NO sharks in the swimming pool!!!

Alice said...

Do you really think there are sharks in the swimming pool? I can understand a fear of water - but is your fear just of sharks or of the water?

Oh, and I totally get the fear of birds thing. Yuck.

PlumPetals said...

You can never to be too sure ... ;)

Jade said...

Is it bad that I find your phobias highly amusing? ;)