Wednesday, October 06, 2010

Time

5:15 a.m.
Why am I waking up this early? I don't need to leave the house until 7:20.
6:40 a.m.
Damn!
I turned off my alarm. How could I have overslept?
7:10 a.m.
Oh my God. Where's my other earring?
7:12 a.m.
My skirt is too long - these heels are not high enough - do I change my shoes, or do I change my skirt.
Change the shoes - changing the skirt means changing the whole outfit.
7:19 a.m.
Finally in my car. Shit. I left my phone upstairs.
7:20 a.m.
Running upstairs
7:22 a.m.
Back in my car. Trying to reverse but cars passing behind me.
One going left, two going right, another going left.
7:24 a.m.
Great. Now I can move. What the hell?Taxi standing right behind my car.
**HONK**
Angry look from my neighbor.I felt like flipping her off, but that would have been a waste of a few more seconds.
7:25 a.m.
Finally, reverse. Straight. Turn right. You've got to be kidding me. Road blocked by garbage truck. Of course - the truck has blocked the entrance to the side road as well. Tapping my finger on the steering wheel. Trying to hum to the song on the radio, but I don't even know what's playing.
7:29 a.m.
What's the point? Shouldn't I just reverse and go back to bed? Finally. I can get out of here.
7:34 a.m.
What is with this traffic? Why don't other people leave the house earlier to avoid this jam?
7:38 a.m.
I should just get out and walk, shouldn't I? How will I make my deadline? I have 12 minutes. Maybe if I call someone, they can meet me at the door and make the delivery - that will save me at least 2 minutes.
Phone call 1: 'I'm running late too.'
Phone call 2: 'I'm still in bed.'
Phone call 3: no answer
Phone call 4: no answer
7:41 a.m.
It's ok. I still have a few minutes. I'll just take a detour. I can make it.
7:44 a.m.
Still tapping my finger on the steering wheel.
7:46 a.m.
Oh my God. I can't stand this anymore.
I'm gonna make this illegal turn. I have no choice!
7:47 a.m.
'Get out of the way!! Didn't anybody teach you how to drive?!'
7:48 a.m.
Damn pedestrians!
7:49 a.m.
In front of the building.
Yellow and black lines. Who cares. I've got to park here.
7:50 a.m.
Running. [Taking quick tiny steps is more like it!]
Damn heels - too high.
Damn skirt - too tight.
7:51 a.m.
Here! Made it! Am I late?
7:53 a.m.
Sigh of relief. Delivered the documents just in time.
7:54 a.m.
Maybe today won't be so bad after all.
7:55 a.m.
Cop writing parking ticket.
7:56 a.m.
Running [if that's what you call it]
Damn heels - too high.
Damn skirt - too tight.
7:57 a.m.
Pleading with officer.
Thinking: Hmmm, he's cute.
7:58 a.m.
He smiles.
I smile.
7:59 a.m.
He gives me his phone number.
8:00 a.m.
He gives me a parking ticket.

Is the day over yet?

1 comment:

Mel said...

This has to be my favorite post yet!! :)